Friday, April 9, 2010

Raymond Vs Raymond by Usher


I was expecting allot from Usher on,'Raymond Vs.Raymond'....it does not deliver.
*
Of course,when I say I was expecting allot,I mean I was expecting a great break up album.I mean,the title sort of demands it,right?Kramer vs.Kramer style break up.
*
Instead we get a typical newly single man trying to prove to himself that he still has that sexual prowess that probably was the problem that got him into trouble in the first place.ie:no self examination at all.
*
Of course when I say that I was expecting allot,I was putting my expectations for 'Raymond vs.Raymond' right up there  with the king of all break-up/heartbreak albums:'Here,My Dear',by Marvin Gaye.
*
Now,that's an album.
*
Sure,any album can become your own private break-up album.Any genre-and style can and will do.The album simply has to be what you are listening to when you break up.
*
For instance,way way back in the time of the dinosaurs,I went through what I still call my,'Break up of all break-ups'.My heart was ripped out 'Dumb & Dumber' style.O-k,it was partially (or just as much)my fault as hers,but it didn't stop the pain from bringing me to my knees.
*
I would go out into the coldness of my 1972 Valiant;put in Queen's,'Jazz', eight-track,and sit out in the ice cold in my bare feet mourning the ache my soul was feeling.
*
'Jazz' just happened to fit the mourn I was feeling.But it could have been any eight-track.Boston,James Taylor,Michael Stanley.'Jazz',just happened to be the medicine of convenience...see..it could have been anything.
*
But...
*
..the album that has always brought back that medicine to me,and still brings it back to me every time I listen to it(and,most importantly,can still bring me to my knees with both its power and outright beauty),is Marvin Gaye's,'Here,My Dear'.
*
The three versions-ALONE-of,'When Did You Stop Loving Me,When Did I Stop Loving You?',are still considered some of the best heartbreak music of all time.
*
Anyone that has even 'thought' of breaking up feels this music:instantly!
*
I was expecting this type of power from Usher.I guess I was asking for way too much.
*
Not that,'Raymond Vs. Raymond doesn't have its fair share of good music.Proving that,yes,Ludacris IS everywhere,I enjoyed,'She Don't Know'.'OMG','Monstar' and 'Lil Freak' all have there own certain fun qualities.
*
There are some songs of lost romance on the cd as well.The standout being the,'Into The Night' remake.'Papers',is classic Usher.
*
Other than that,I guess I was just hoping for more:much more.
*
C-

No comments: