Friday, April 30, 2010

Glee:The Power Of Madonna

Thankfully,'The Music Of Glee:The Power OF Madonna',is only an Ep-not a Lp-because if there was one more Madonna song on this cd I think I would have just chucked the whole thing away,and puked.

That being said,there is something to be said about someone that knows when to quit.

Back in the day when I was a foreman/crew leader on a tree trimming climbing crew,I used to have a saying,"Get out of the tree before you ruin it."

So,kudos to Glee for making this Ep the perfect length.

Also,I must say,I somewhat enjoyed this extended play download.

I openly admit to liking,'Glee'.

Every time that I have watched it,I have thoroughly enjoyed 'Glee'.The trouble is,it is usually up against one of my all time favorite Tv shows,'Lost'.

But,I regress,I like and enjoy,'Glee'.Not just because its fictitious high school[ William McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio ] is just a hop,skip and a jump away from where I live(I sometimes shop in Lima,for crying out loud),or because I particularly like Tv drama/musicals(I don't,most that have aired have deserved their early cancellations..can you say:'Cop Rock'!).

But,because I like glee clubs/show choirs.Two of my boys were in one from elementary school all the way to their senior years in high school.

Ok,their show choir was not in league with McKinley High,but that doesn't mean that they didn't have their moments.

I remember seeing them perform a concert around Christmas time in a local warehouse cafeteria.They sang,'(I Hope You)Dance',so beautifully that I actually cried.It was truly a great rendition.

And that is exactly what is wrong with this,'Glee' Ep.

It is only half of the performance.Like any good glee club production,the,'Power Of Madonna',is at its best when the whole performance is incorporated.The dance,the drama,the personalities are supposed to be ingrained together in a cohesive whole.

This Ep,can not-on it's own-do that.

Of course that could said of most 'musical'albums.From 'Phantom Of The Opera'to'The Fiddler On The Roof',half of the enjoyment in listening to the music,is the memory of the physical performance that went along with it.

Without that memory,'Glee:TPOM',verges more on karaoke then tribute.Good karaoke,yes,but karaoke just the same.

Songs that stand out are,'Vogue',and 'Express Yourself'.

So,to summarize:If you truly want to enjoy this Ep to it's fullest,watch the April 20th,2010,'Glee:The Power Of Madonna',episode and then comeback to the enjoy the memories.

With watching the Tv show:B+

Without watching the Tv show:C-






No comments: