Friday, April 23, 2010

Free Week #7


AMERICAN VI:AIN'T NO GRAVE

You could call Johnny Cash's supposedly last posthumous album of new music to be made in conjunction with  super producer Rick Rubin a coda of sorts.

It seems purposely meant to be a fond farewell.Most every song involves death or an emotional substitute.The whole cd seems as if Johnny Cash is looking from the back of the station wagon waving good bye.I get the feeling of a flag flurrying in the wind listening to this supreme last set of recordings.

It's a beautiful tribute to the American country icon that is/was Johnny Cash.

It hadn't necessarily been so.

That's a tribute to the loving talent of Rick Rubin.

Listening to Mr.Cash's voice,you hear the frailty in it.Yet,via song choice,and the power of the sparse arrangements,you hardly notice.

On,'Ammerican VI:Ain't No Grave',Johnny Cash sounds as if these songs were meant to be sung exactly the way he is singing them.This is Johnny Cash at his best.

The title track is the perfect opener.Johnny,the troubadour soldier,singing until the end.

Sheryl Crow's,'Redemption Day' is perfect Cash.This is the man in black standing tall.He has sung ballads like this his whole career.

'For The Good Times'(a tune by buddy,Kris Kristofferson),is a great song to be included on this coda of goodbye.It makes you smile and cry at the same time.

'1st Corinthians 15:55',is...how do I say this politely...is Johnny flipping death the bird.Death,were is thy sting?Indeed.The only Johnny Cash penned song on the whole album.

'Can't Help but Wonder Where I'm Bound',is a boundlessly happy song.It is my favorite song on 'American VI'.

'A Satisfied Mind',shows that Johnny Cash still had his head in the right place.I always felt that the rich weren't missioned to enough.Compassion for them in these hard times:caused by their lawlessness...just powerful stuff.

On,'I Don't Hurt Anymore',I had to smile.An unintentional rebuttal to his hit,'Hurt'?Maybe.

I always loved The Sons of the Pioneers,'Cool Water'.Johnny Cash has always been at his best as a story teller.He seems to come come alive on this song.Totally within his element.

'Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream',a song dreaming of peace.Only Johnny Cash could make this touching song a call to heaven.I want this played at my own funeral.

'Aloha Oe" (Queen Lili'uokalani)'.I guess the coda on the coda.This is were I truly hear the flag snapping in the breeze and see Johnny waving good bye.

It is hard.This really is good bye.It's been a good run Johnny.

Thank you.


A+

No comments: