Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lady Antebellum:Need You Now


I had a hard time putting my finger on this cd.Something about it just didn't seem to jell in my mind.I mean,Lady Antebellum {Charles Kelley (lead and background vocals), Dave Haywood (background vocals, guitar, piano, mandolin) and Hillary Scott (lead and background vocals}seemed to have nice vocals,good music and happening lyrics...but the whole seemed to just bleed together like water accidentally spilled over a watercolor painting.

To be truthful,the music seemed to just go into one ear and out the other.

Maybe,I thought,it was of the recording technique.Everything recorded at the same levels.Bland sounding stuff-but perfect for quality radio airplay(the Goldilocks train of thought: not too cold;not too hot..but just right.)

And then it hit me(duh);all these songs were meant for individual radio/mp-3 placement.


They weren't recorded so much to fit as a cohesive whole,but to fit in amongst songs from other cd's and genres.


Pop fluff for the masses.


I mean that in a good way.I love pop music.I like fluff..music that can either make me smile or cry without having to interpret,expunge,defend or simply put,engage into too deeply.


Heartfelt,not necessarily art-felt.


Again,I mean this as a positive,good thing.The glory of modern country music is that it is as toe tapping as it is genuine.I can listen easily to it while I'm driving to work,paying bills,or sitting at the bar sipping a cold one.I can listen while working around the house,enjoying the kids or cooking out on the grill.


..and still understand it.


On those terms..actually taking the time to listen to the songs individually,'Lady Antebellum' really holds up.I like it.


The title track,'Need You Now',is both the first and best song on the Lp.Who hasn't been drunk and up at one a.m. missing an old heartthrob?Just a great tune.


'American Honey' is another very well put together country ditty.It should get allot of radio airplay.


Of course,Lady Antebellum has their rock side.Two very good-rockin' songs on the cd are,'When You Got A Good Thing'(very good guitar licks) and the-I would like to hear this one in concert-'Stars Tonight'.


Both,'Love Is Pain' and 'If I Knew Then' are your typical singing to yourself at the bar tear jerkers.Yeah,kick yourself in the ass heartbreak.Standard stuff,but I bet they touch the heart of plenty of people.


I guess,I went from having the music go into one hear and out the other,to not being able to resist singing individual songs in my head.Lite rock?Maybe.
Entertaining?Hell yeah.This thing is still in by cd player in our Subaru.'Niff said.




A-

No comments: