Friday, February 12, 2010

Free Post #1:The Great Lake Swimmers


The nice thing about an album staying on top of the Billboard charts for more than one week [like last weeks Lady Antebellum]is that I get to pick the next weeks cd.

That is why I get to review The Great Lake Swimmers,'Lost Channels' this week.


And what an exceptionally treat it is,too:-)


The Toronto based group{The current touring line-up includes Tony Dekker on lead vocals, acoustic guitar and harmonica, Erik Arnesen on banjo, electric guitar and harmonium, Greg Millson on drums, Bret Higgins on upright bass and Julie Fader on keyboards and vocals}is a marvel to listen to.


But let's step back a minute.I first heard of GLS by the way of a free music download{via Amazon.com.}of their song,'Pulling On The Line'.As my brother Carl likes to say,"Anything free is worth saving up for.'Pulling On The Line' is one of the catchiest songs that I have heard in a long long time.And,as a former tree trimmer,I feel that I know exactly what this song is singing about(though it is probably not just about tree climbers)...An instant classic.

Once I heard it,I had to purchase the rest of the cd.

It is all fantastic.

The group is from Toronto.I have a feeling that they sing what they know about.'Concrete Heart' is a prime example of this:"This is where I felt like the world's tallest self-supporting tower/At least for a little while anyway," is such a beautiful set of lyrics that almost anyone can understand the power and heartbreak of loving someone.

Another standout song is,'Still'.I am 'still' trying to figure out all the definition(s) of 'still' they use in this simple,yet complex song.

'Stealing Tomorrow' is another excellent song from the Great Lake Swimmers.I know precisely what they mean by singing,"Stealing tomorrow from today".The sound of this song reminds me of another powerful,yet mellow group,The Cowboy Junkies.It is a good comparison.Very very listenable music.Hauntingly so.

Yet another fine composition is the cd's first song,'Palmistry'...The more you listen...the more you like.

Great Lake Swimmers = Great music.A must listen.

A+

No comments: