Friday, January 22, 2010

vampire weekend













Before I get into reviewing 'Contra' I have to say that it is one of those albums that gives me a problem reviewing it.


Let me explain.First off,reviewing a cd every week is quite different than sitting down and enjoying your favorite album with a nice bottle of wine and an absorbing book.It is different then having some friends over and partying to some new tunes.



A week is just not a long enough time to fully begin to enjoy some Lps.

Back in the day,I had a favorite album-'A Night At The Opera',by Queen.I enjoyed it not just for weeks,nor months,but,literally,for years.A week-bah-that's nothing.Anyone that knew me at that time knew they could partially define me by that album.


"Night At The Opera' was one of the main reasons I became such a big,big music fan.


A week is hardly any time at all to get to know some cd's.

Wilco's,'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot',is a prime example of this syndrome.Hell,I didn't even like it after one week.Now,it is a record I can hardly live without bringing out and playing every now and again.A genius of composition.


It took me-at least-that long to get wowed by,'London Calling'{by The Clash}.It was so new and fresh that at first I didn't get it...but when I did get it..I got it.I never looked at music the same way again.


It's funny,but I see Carly Simon the same way.The more more I listen,the better she gets.


So,that's the trouble with reviewing albums.You don't usually have the time to get to know some of the really good stuff.


That is how I feel about,'Contra'.


'Contra' is an exceptionally good record.And at every listening it keeps getting better.


Take,for instance,'Giving Up The Gun',the song just keeps blowing me away.Every time there is some nuance of something musical or lyrical that I find new to enjoy.From sword to gun..is that a metaphor for sex;living adventurously???Simply mind blowing.


Both,'Run' and my favorite song on the cd,'Diplomat's Son' have (maybe it's just me)a Sandinista influence.'Diplomat is possibly the most toe tapping song about having a fling with a diplomat's son ever written.


It is hard to describe Vampire Weekend's sound.Some Radio Head,some Wilco,some Sufjan,with just a twist of auto~tune and Reggae thrown in.I don't know what a horchata is,but after listening to their song of the same name,I sure would like to drink one.


'Cousins',the first single,is the fastest tempo-ed song on the record,and my opinion,a song about living life and the line(s) that living life brings.


Another example of great lyrics is the title song,'Contra'.My theory,is that he is asking if his love is a rebel or perhaps just being a pretender?I don't know...


..And I need more than just a week to find out.


A

No comments: